Record-Breaking Heatwave Hits Newark: Tips to Stay Cool and Safe
Newark residents are bracing themselves for an intense heatwave that is set to break temperature records this week. With scorching temperatures expected to soar, it's crucial to take necessary precautions to stay cool and safe during this extreme weather. Here are some essential tips to help you beat the heat and protect yourself from potential heat-related illnesses:
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day, even if you don't feel thirsty. Avoid sugary and alcoholic beverages, as they can dehydrate your body.
- Seek Shade or Air-Conditioning: Spend time indoors in air-conditioned spaces or seek shade under trees when you're outdoors. Limit your exposure to direct sunlight during peak hours, usually between 10 am and 4 pm.
- Wear Lightweight and Light-Colored Clothing: Opt for loose-fitting, breathable fabrics like cotton to help your body stay cool. Light-colored clothing reflects sunlight and helps keep you cooler.
- Use Cooling Products: Consider using fans, portable air-conditioners, or misting fans to create a comfortable environment at home. Cold packs or damp towels can also be placed on your forehead or the back of your neck to cool down quickly.
- Limit Physical Activity: Avoid strenuous activities during the hottest parts of the day. If you must exercise or perform outdoor tasks, do so during the cooler mornings or evenings.
- Protect Your Skin: Apply sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses to shield your face and eyes.
- Check on Vulnerable Individuals: Keep an eye on young children, elderly family members, and individuals with chronic health conditions, as they are more susceptible to heat-related illnesses.
- Never Leave Children or Pets in Cars: Even with the windows cracked open, the interior of a car can become dangerously hot within minutes. Never leave children or pets unattended in vehicles.
- Take Cool Showers or Baths: Cool showers or baths can help lower your body temperature and provide relief from the heat.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on weather forecasts and heat advisories issued by local authorities. Stay informed about any cooling centers or emergency services available in your area.
By following these tips, you can stay cool and safe during this unprecedented heatwave in Newark. Remember to look out for one another, especially those who may be more vulnerable to the effects of extreme heat. Stay hydrated, seek shelter, and take necessary precautions to make the most of your summer while staying safe.